Free Pest tips for your daily use to keep you healthy, happy & safe always
Good Pest Tips or Good Question or Good Answer will be rewarded
My house is under maintenance and renovation, currently there is a lot of breaking and demolition, painting, flooring and shifting going on and I am moving to a new house. Is this a good time to get pest control services?E mail from client
Pest Tips: What is good time to go for pest control?
Pest Tips – Timing for Pest Control
You asked: Is it good time for pest control when we renovate?
First and the most important pest tips is that this is the most appropriate time to get a pest control expert to examine the entire house and get a health & hygiene inspection performed. There are many corners, around furniture and boxes, under carpets and in store rooms, old coolers, tires where rainwater has collected, many conditions like this in a house which can be home to many health threatening pests such as cockroaches, mice, mosquitoes, flies etc. and threats to your home’s foundation, wood, furniture such as termites. It is good to be aware that most pest control companies like us perform inspections for free. But it is of prime importance that the inspection is conducted by experts. Those that don’t take care of their own hygiene, cleanliness, and aren’t dressed neatly cannot be expected to give trustworthy hygiene related advice. Therefore, at the time of renovation, shifting to a new house, coming back to home after a long outing – all are good time for pest control inspection and treatment. Look for seasonal deals and discounts offered by many companies.
I pride myself in keeping my house & kitchen very clean and spotless, then how do pests still manage to get in my home?Client phone call at our helpline 9555 786 622
Pest Tips: how does pests manage to get in clean homes as well?
Pest Tips: Home which is designed un-friendly for Pests
Although keeping your house clean and spotless definitely helps towards making it hygienic and pest free, however cockroaches can still find their way through the drainage, gas cylinders etc. Besides this, pests can easily enter through open windows and doors and other openings in your house. Your house has many cracks openings and holes which the human eye generally doesn’t notice and even despite of thorough maintenance and cleaning, the pests find these opportunities to hide and breed. They also come through your kitchen items purchased from outside or gas cylinder coming after refilling. Merely putting cockroach gel or doing sprays by a not so trained technician is not the solution. They should inspect like experts both inside and outside.
Note: We have 40 point checklist for cockroaches and 50 point checklist for termites.
Will your pest service have any adverse effects on us or our pets such as dogs?Client's question during personal meeting
Pest Tips: Pest service having any adverse effect or after effects on dogs or humans?
Pest Tips: Safety of Pets (Dogs and other Pets) during Pest Control
This can only happen if the technicians are untrained. A trained and experienced expert would never administer chemicals without first identifying the correct areas where the spray can and should not be put. A good pest control company will never allow the customer or pets to get in harm’s way, and this calls for trained and proficient technicians who use pesticides wisely in terms of usage, amount and procedure while following the correct rules and regulations while administering pest control. They can keep you fully informed and successfully demonstrate the same. Food safety is very important. Therefore, to ensure that they are properly trained, equipped and demonstrated their capabilities, find out that they are ISO 22000 certified.
How many times should pest control be performed in a house?Client's question during personal meeting
Pest Tips: Appropriate Pest Service Frequency
In apartment flats, treatment for cockroaches 3 times a year is ideal, because these apartments have a common area which are well taken care of and apartment management cleans the area around the apartment and performs the necessary pest control in the common areas, which makes the risk of pests coming in from outside considerable less.
Farm Houses, Bungalows and Cottages: these have different designs and have different requirements for cleaning and maintenance and pest control experts will advise accordingly.
What happens if someone touches an area that has been sprayed?Client's question during personal meeting
One should not touch an area that has been sprayed like a wall, floor etc. until it has fully dried off. But if somehow a hand touches the area, there is no cause for worry; we simply need to clean the body part that has touched thoroughly with soap and water. Our company takes great precautions and care that all chemicals are certified by the Central Insecticide Board and is completely safe for use. Our technicians are fully trained and are theoretically and practically examined and verified and are only allowed to perform pest control services after they succeed in our exams with flying colors. We strongly recommend that our esteemed customers listen carefully to the advice given by our technicians so that they have no further problems or difficulties.
Will I have to wash all my things after Pest Control Service?Client's question during personal meeting
Not at all, Cockroaches and general pest management requires no washing and cleaning of any household items afterwards. There is no liquid spray in open area which is vulnerable. We use, odourless target specific gel and again odourless spray in manholes, drains etc.
It is only after Termite management where Drill-Fill-Seal treatment is performed, cleaning is required. Due to drilling, dust and debris needs to be cleaned.
How can we feel safe after your technicians use pesticides in our home?Client's question during personal meeting
A trained and experienced expert would never use chemicals without first identifying the correct areas where the spray can and should not be put. A good pest control company will never allow the customer or pets to get in harm’s way, and this calls for trained and proficient technicians who use pesticides wisely in terms of usage, amount and procedure while following the correct rules and regulations while administering pest control. They can keep you fully informed and successfully demonstrate the same.
Anyone can spray, but to spray with correct usage, first by tracking the pest with its trail, finding its hiding place and the perfect place to attack it, to identify its form, species calls for an experienced and well trained technician. Pesticides need to be handled with great care and delicacy since they are ultimately a form of poison. If you spray without thinking then it can be very dangerous for all residences of the house. Our company embraces advanced IPM techniques and uses safer sprays and other ways of tackling pest infestation.
The important point here is that simply spraying does not make the pests go away forever, they will always come back. A good pest control company and their technicians find those places where the root of the problem is addressed and the breeding and propagation of the pests in the house can be stopped and their path into the residence can be safely sealed off. This is an expert’s job.
Can my family or household help like servants, maids etc be in the house while the pest control service is being conducted?Client's question during personal meeting
Since the spray is only administered in drains, sewers and manholes, and in other places we use sophisticated techniques that make sure that cockroach and pest termination happens without any discomfort to you and your family’s daily habits and routine. Truthfully, while the treatment is underway the family can cook, prepare and enjoy a meal, watch TV and continue with their daily lives or just watch as our expert technicians carry out the service, thus learning of the pests hiding places in the process. It is importance to converse with your pest technician; the tips shared by them and will help you in maintaining a pest-free household. A major concern of pest control which all technicians keep in mind is to take special care of children, elderly and sick people in a house to make sure that the techniques they use cause no harm to them. The same policy is extended to pets in the house. Someone should be present and observing the process, whether it is a family member or a servant. This has many advantages:
- Technician will provide them with many tips which they can use to keep the house pest free and disease free.
- The Technician may need some assistance or guidance in identifying and moving manholes etc.
- And one should keep an eye on the technician.
During Termite management, sometimes the need arises to make small indents in the walls and floors with a drill and spray chemicals in them. These drills make noise and cause a lot of dust to fly about, which can be a nuisance at home, therefore one should keep distance during termite management. Even in such situations someone trustworthy should be present to inform of important things in the walls that the technician may not be aware of, such as the positions of pipes or electrical lines In the walls and floors so that there is no fear of damaging them.
DO I have to empty the cupboards and shelves of my kitchen?Client's question during personal meeting
Generally, when performing targeted gel treatment, there is no need to clear anything of the cupboards, shelves and racks of your kitchen area. However, sometimes if the cockroach infestation is extensive then they need to be flushed out with spray since that becomes the only alternative. In that case the cupboards and shelves will have to be emptied. This is only for worst case scenarios.
Why don’t you use cockroach gel in all the places rather than only kitchen?Client's question during personal meeting
Cockroaches are attracted to slightly warm and damp areas, places where food is prepared, or a water and oil mixtures are found in plenty. After food is prepared, some areas such as underneath the gas stove, the wall behind it where it’s difficult to reach for cleaning, in these areas there is a collection of grease which makes it sticky. This looks disgusting and after some time it becomes very difficult to scrape off, but in the eyes of a cockroach it is a delicious feast. During the day, cockroaches like to stay in the dark, so they choose areas like the backs of the fridge, stove and kitchen cabinets or the kitchen floor where it is narrow and dark where reaching them becomes a very difficult endeavor, and they live like kings. They venture out at night in search of food and drink, and if you see a cockroach during the day, then take it as a hint that you are actually housing an army of cockroaches.
All these conditions for the propagation of cockroaches are found in regular household kitchens, and that’s why the gel is used in kitchens. This gel works best in dry areas and it is very attractive to cockroaches. Damp areas like sink or washbasin can ruin the gel due to the presence of fungus or mold. This is why spray is used in gutters, drains and manholes.
What preparations should I make for the pest control treatment?Client's question during personal meeting
For Cockroach Treatment: Place all eatables from the kitchen in the fridge and keep them covered. Keep your Oven, Microwave, Fridge and other electronic devices available for inspection. These are the only necessary preparations that need to be made. No Bad odour or dangerous poison will be used, the pest control technician will not leave any kind of dirt, garbage or disarray upon leaving, especially if you have used a good company that employs trained experts for their technical proficiency who will take care of your health and safety. Generally, they will put protective covers on their shoes before entering, rather than take of their shoes and enter in smelly socks. The pest control technician’s job is to give you health and hygiene advice, so his own health and hygiene must of prime importance.
For Termite Treatment: For termites, in comparison to cockroaches, one must make some more preparations. Every room has to have its corners drilled and sprayed. To do this, easy access to all corners need to be made easy, so all cupboard, sofas, magazine racks, carpets etc. that are blocking the way need to be moved away and the dust caused by drilling means that all household objects such as bed, computer, TV, and other electronics should be covered and safe from dust particles.
Can cockroach gel which you apply in the cupboard – get into the food item or harm it in any way?Client's question during personal meeting
Not at all. The gel is put near their hiding and gathering places and a trained technician will take care that it does not come in contact with food at all. You can recognise a trained technician in the way he speaks dresses and carries himself and of course, the way with which he answers your questions.
Why should I see cockroaches after your treatment -even the next day?Client's question during personal meeting
The cockroach gel will take at least 2 weeks to control the numbers of the pests. Do not be impatient and use a pesticide for quicker results, cockroach gel will stop the breeding and propagation of cockroaches and will not be harmful to health and safety of the household. If cockroaches still roam after 3-4 weeks then re-enlist your technician to perform another more thorough inspection to find a proper solution.
On the topic of the fate of cockroaches after treatment – a female cockroach can take with her, an egg sack known as the ootheca, which carries nearly 40 eggs inside it. The cockroaches inside take nearly 106 days to become adults. Because cockroaches lay so many eggs at once that mature at such a fast pace, their population expands at a very rapid rate. The eggs at the time of administration of the gel will not be affected, since they do not feel hunger and are not drawn to it, they do not feel its effects, so the gel will only take effect once the eggs are hatched and then they will die.
What arrangements can I do from my side to get rid of cockroaches?Client's question during personal meeting
Cockroaches live and breed in those areas where they can find food and water in plenty. Important safety arrangements are as follows:
- Regular cleaning with a vacuum cleaner is very helpful. Wherever the opportunity arises, killing the cockroach yourself and throwing it out is necessary, especially where the infestation is particularly bad.
- Cockroaches cannot handle extreme temperatures (more than 115 degrees Fahrenheit or less than 45 degrees Fahrenheit) Therefore Carbon Dioxide gas in cracks and crevices where hands have difficult reaching is an effective method of freezing them to death.
- Vacuum cleaner in all the nooks and crannies of the house will help eliminate the eggs and small cockroaches that may be unaffected by other methods, and will also get rid of already dead cockroaches. Using nozzles on the vacuum cleaner can help further the quest for eradication of cockroaches where it is difficult to reach. When these cockroaches are dumped into the vacuum bag, to finish them off once and for all, seal the bag and put it in the freezer for an hour.
- Put all food substances in sealed boxes to prevent any hopes insects have of getting at your eatables.
- Make sure all trash and garbage is kept in containers that can be properly closed. Old newspapers, magazines, paper, cartons, and other such materials make perfect hiding places for cockroaches, so they should not be kept exposed and thrown away at the earliest opportunity, and not be allowed to pile up and home and fester.
- All the water connection pipes in the house should be checked thoroughly for leakage. Do not allow any form of dampness and make sure that there is proper ventilation at all junctions.
- Vacuum cleaners with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Absorber) or triple filter should be used to lower the numbers of the cockroaches and to prevent their growth.
- Properly maintain bushes and shrubbery around and outside the house, so that air and sunlight can enter the house creating better circulation.
- If there is garbage, trash or firewood near the house then this should be gotten rid of immediately as the presence of such things makes it very difficult to control cockroaches.
- Cleanliness aims to shut off the food and water supply. Cockroach exclusions will stop them from entering. The most important point to note is that these two processes, namely, Cleanliness and Cockroach Exclusion will not fully eradicate the infestation, but both these processes along with the use of pesticide paste will remove their malignant potential for good. If dust, dirt, greasy and sticky dirt are not eradicated first then the paste will not be able work to its full capability it is important to understand that sticky grease and other substances can just as easily replace their need for water and thus need to be fully eradicated. It is rather unfortunate when one speaks of increasing the pesticide amount because of the non-cleanliness of the area, due to this ignorance there is an unnecessary use of pesticide and people have to suffer for this.
How do I prevent hiding places for cockroaches and how can I get them out without calling a pest controller?Client's question during personal meeting
During the day, cockroaches hide in cracks in the geyser, cupboards, safes, bushes etc. Then they come out at night and lay claim to many parts of the house. Hiding places need to be eradicated and access to food sources need to be blocked as well. Cockroaches find excellent refuge in falls bottoms of cupboards, cracks, drainpipes etc.
If the cockroaches are coming from outside or from somewhere else in the building, the necessary precautions to keep them out of your home are as follows:
- Close any cracks and openings that can allow entry to the house.
- Keep a close watch to determine what other modes of entry are there, whether any object of piece of furniture could be a way to let them in eg. Something that had been warehoused previously.
- Find out if the boxes in which fridges, furniture or motors have any hidden ootheca in the corners. If you find any hint of the same then destroy them and dispose of them.
- Seal any cracks near areas that have already been treated so that remaining cockroaches are unable to run away and take refuge.
- In residential areas where two different families share either side of one common wall, the way it happens in apartments, it is important to stop cockroaches of one flat to transfer into the other, which they can do so using several methods, eg. They can use the cracks in pipes under the sink to move from one room to another. These cracks and openings can be closed up with silicone and urethane. In some situations, American or oriental cockroaches can be seeing outside or around these apartments or rooms. In these situations such common areas need to be thoroughly inspected and properly sealed so that there is no passage from the outside area to the inside of the apartments.
After you perform Termite treatment, won’t the termites move to the neighbouring houses, where treatment has not been done? And won’t they come back after that?Client's question during personal meeting
Termites only go to those places where it is possible to enter. Damp and cellulose, which is found in wood, paper and other such materials, are necessary to attract termites. The Pest Technician will give you a list of Do’s and Don’ts that will help you. If you follow these instructions and get a thorough pest inspection done, then the termites will never invade your home again, although they may still bother your neighbors. It is necessary for everyone in the neighbourhood to get pest control services for termites from a good professional company to minimize the risk of termites in the entire neighbourhood.
Our neighbours got Termite treatment in the hall, does that mean the Termites are going enter our house and cause damage?Client's question during personal meeting
Simply getting treatment done in the hall means that they will look for other entries into the house and will continue to look for food. The worker termites are very hard working and it is their responsibility to feed the rest of their colony, they do not give up easily. Their whole colony is underground with a huge society consisting of kings, queens, workers and soldiers and each of them needs to be fed.
How does a Termite colony and society function?Client's question during personal meeting
Termites like people, need food, shelter and living conditions, and the termite community gets together to collect all these provisions to allow life for the entire colony. Like people, termites make three kinds of classes for the members of their colony, namely: 1. Worker, 2. Soldier and 3. Breeder. Each of them has their own roles and responsibilities. Workers get food, soldiers protect and breeders maintain the population and birth new termites. The kind and queen are the primary breeders and they are the most important members of the colony.
Breeders also create new termite colonies. This is one of their main roles.
What are the dos and don’ts of termite proofing a house? What should I keep in mind while taking a pest control service?Client's question during personal meeting
- Control the dampness in and around your house.
- Make sure that the Attic and Crawl Space have plenty of air and ventilation so that there is not dampness that can get in.
- Do not let water collect for a long time near the foundation of the house. In rainy season make sure there are proper provisions for rainwater to flow out and away from the foundations.
- Eliminate all sources of food for termites around your residential area, eg. Dry twigs and branches of trees, firewood, wooden tools, paper etc.
- Make sure that the wooden parts of the external sections of the house are not touching mud or dirt.
- Perform thorough inspections of all wooden platforms, walls and wooden fencing in and around the residence.
- Keep mulch, grass, thatch etc., away from the external walls of the house.
- Termite wings, tubes of earth, bubbles or cracks on the paint on the wall are all signs of danger and warrant an immediate call to a pest controller to book an inspection of your property.
My flat is at 10th floor. I believe termite won’t come that far from ground?Client's question during personal meeting
Although termites live underground, they have been known to reach up to 100 floors of flats with ease. They do so through drain pipes, electricity poles, and lift shafts etc. They also make satellite colonies in terrace gardens.
If we eliminate the damp can we get rid of termites forever? Why should we hire pest control then?Client's question during personal meeting
- Eliminating dampness will definitely drive the termites away from your home. They cannot live without dampness, therefore when they find that the living conditions are not suitable for them, they will no longer feel attracted to the home. This is the goal with which you should take care of your home against termites.
- If your floor has hollow space underneath it then spread polythene over it between the earth and the floor so that it prevents dampness from propagating. You should also make sure that there is proper cross ventilation in this area, in this way the wood can remain dry. Take care of the wood that comes in contact with air and has to withstand the weather by putting weather sealer on it.
- Do not let bushes and vegetation grow on the house or attached to the side of the house as these will allow mold to form on wood.
- Regular maintenance of leaky pipes and air conditioners is of prime importance.
- Quickly divert water if it comes near the foundation
- Always keep the gutters clean
- Do not let rain water collect on the roof or balcony
- Keep drains and ventilation open and clean.
- Do not leave any gaps for any utility lines that are coming into the house, such as electric, water, gas, A/C etc. Keep them well sealed.
- Keep food sources sealed.
- Firewood, Paper, Earth should not be kept near hollow spaces or basements at all.
- Make sure wooden stubs and other trash near the house are thrown away
- Put strong grills on the ventilation
- Regularly check wooden terraces and enclosures.
- Do not let any wooden object touch the earth/dirt of the ground.
If we eliminate the damp can we get rid of termites forever? Why should we hire pest control then?Client's question during personal meeting
Eliminating dampness will definitely drive the termites away from your home. They cannot live without dampness, therefore when they find that the living conditions are not suitable for them, they will no longer feel attracted to the home. This is the goal with which you should take care of your home against termites.
If your floor has hollow space underneath it then spread polythene over it between the earth and the floor so that it prevents dampness from propagating. You should also make sure that there is proper cross ventilation in this area, in this way the wood can remain dry. Take care of the wood that comes in contact with air and has to withstand the weather by putting weather sealer on it.
Do not let bushes and vegetation grow on the house or attached to the side of the house as these will allow mold to form on wood.
Regular maintenance of leaky pipes and air conditioners is of prime importance.
Quickly divert water if it comes near the foundation
Always keep the gutters clean
Do not let rain water collect on the roof or balcony
Keep drains and ventilation open and clean.
Do not leave any gaps for any utility lines that are coming into the house, such as electric, water, gas, A/C etc. Keep them well sealed.
Keep food sources sealed.
Firewood, Paper, Earth should not be kept near hollow spaces or basements at all.
Make sure wooden stubs and other trash near the house are thrown away
Put strong grills on the ventilation
Regularly check wooden terraces and enclosures.
Do not let any wooden object touch the earth/dirt of the ground.
Since my house is already infested with termites. How long has it been, how much damage of wood they have already done, what kind of treatment is appropriate here – I want to know.
Client's question during personal meeting
Although termites are an essential cog in the eco system because they help in restoring balance by eating dead trees and decomposing them to become part of the ground again, which makes their role in the eco system a very important one; they do however become a nuisance once they enter your home and decompose the wood that you use as shelter. Then it becomes less about the eco system and more about your personal damages.
If your house is already infested with termites then you are too late to salvage this situation on your own. Depending on which kind of termite it is and for how long they have been residing in your house, they have the potential to completely demolish your home. In this situation, time is of the essence, every second counts and it is time to call in a responsible and trained pest controller to treat the situation that is growing in your house. This will definitely save the damage that is being caused at the present moment.
If I get termite treatment before construction of the house and laying of the foundation, how does it prevent termites?Client's question during personal meeting
Pest Tips- General Preventions
Prevention is better than cure; if you are constructing a building then it is best to get the ground or soil treated for termites beforehand. In this way the soil will never come in contact with the wood of the foundation and/or building and although this treatment is more expensive it will be a good investment for the long run, because you will not have to worry about termite infestation for a long time.
If you wish to sell the house, you can say that the house has been pretreated for termites and show a warranty certificate then your net worth will definitely increase which makes this a very wise investment indeed.
How can I detect myself whether I have termite problem or not?Client's question during personal meeting
Pest Tips – Termite Identification
In the rainy season, winged insects try and come inside the house or are found around on the floor, street or garden
Cracks on the walls, signs of soil or marks are visible.
Wooden furniture, cupboard or bathroom cabinets make hollow noises.
Outer walls of the doors, wooden beams and hollow spaces show signs of tubes made of dirt.
A number of shredded wings of swarmer’s are visible.
Managers of Property or institutions are sufficiently careful about pests but often overlook the threat of termite infestations. Termites are enough to completely reduce any property or institution that may be based on wood to dust and can destroy the whole building if the necessary steps are not taken at the right time. Inspection for termites should be undertaken every year in your house or building. If you see dirt marks or tubes on your walls and if you don’t take the necessary precautionary measures, it could lead to very dire circumstances for you. In this situation you should immediately call an expert and properly inspect the area. If you see winged insects around the area then do not ignore them, do not make the mistake of considering them as ordinary flying insects that are harmless. These are hints of termites that are hiding right under your nose.
Most people don’t understand that termites are all over underground; every acre of ground has thousands of termite colonies underneath, and is therefore hidden from detection of the naked human eye. Thorough inspection is vital for you to stop termites from entering your home and preventing the damage that might have been caused. Keep an especially strict watch on the house’s windows and foundation area. Many people are unaware of how to conduct an inspection and just knock on the wood of one or two cupboards just for the sake of it and leave, leaving you and probably themselves thoroughly confused. A professional pest controller will properly eliminate the oncoming threat of a termite attack by performing a proper and informed inspection.
I do not want to wake up in night just due to rats and mice. What preventions can be done by me?Client's question during personal meeting
Pest Tips – General Preventions
At least one day per week should be dedicated to a detailed inspection of the house for tunnels which should be sealed up; mice can enter any holes where you can fit a pencil. It is inside holes like these where they hide their people and build their numbers.
Never leave boxes of food or trash cans open and exposed, once they starve in your house they will move to a place that has more care for their feeding needs. One must be very weary of mice and rats as they are a major threat to health and safety for you and your family. Safety because of the rat’s tendencies to cause damage through short circuits.
Mousetraps, crates and pallets are effective tools against them.
Don’t ever handle a dead rat with your hands, use gloves instead because there are many dangerous diseases that can spread just by touching the mice or rats.
This may be strange to hear, but no mousetrap can do the clean and perfect job that a cat can do when it comes to eradicating mice and rats from a home.
The rats increase their numbers at a rapid rate, females give birth 13 times a year and each time they give birth to multiple babies, therefore, simply getting rid of one will not do the job.
If you take away the rat’s basic necessities of food, water and shelter, then they will no longer wish to stay in the same place, if you thoroughly and regularly clean your house and keep it sealed from them then it will be good to help eradicate the rodent infestation.
Can you suggest me a better way of cleaning our home on pest control perspective?Client's question during personal meeting
Pest Tips: Cleaning Practice
A. Food Related best cleaning practice
- Clean the underside of the stove, fridge and dishwasher.
- Clean all the surfaces of countertops.
- Do not leave filled glasses of water exposed during night time in the house. Do not provide this nourishment source for the rodents.
- Keep food substances, pet foods and bird grain in sealed containers.
- Keep the pet food bowls clean and store them in an upside down position during night time.
B. Hiding places related best cleaning practice
- Keep store rooms neat and clean.
- Store things above the floor.
- Outer cleanliness
- Do not be neglectful of keeping your outer areas clean, keep your backyard maintained and keep firewood away from the house to control rodents.
- Keep a maintained landscaping system in place, make sure that grass, bushes and shrubbery is uniform at all times and do not allow for any form of disarray.
- Get rid of piles of rocks and tossed out garbage and machines and do not let the collect near the house.
- Keep wooden logs and firewood at a minimum height of 18 inches from the ground.
- Keep all trash things in sealed plastic boxes
- Do not keep plastic trash bags outside all night. Dispose of them at the earliest.
- Get rid of weeds growing near the house and eliminate hiding places for rats.
- Keep leftover food in sealed boxes and containers.
- Do not leave leftover pet food outside and exposed overnight, keep them in sealed containers.
- Make sure you sweep the entire house for fallen pieces of food, trash and other such objects that could be food for rats. Make sure all this is cleaned up as soon as possible.
- Perform a thorough inspection of the house and basement area and make sure that all cracks and holes in these areas are sealed up with the use of cement.
- Make sure that grills and bars on windows are fully functional, strong and stable and properly installed and that there are no discrepancies in them. If so get them immediately repaired. Regular maintenance is of prime importance.
- Make sure that outer doors remain closed and make a habit of doing so, along with sealing up the bottom gap of doors so that rats cannot crawl under them to enter into the house.
- Do not provide them with hiding places, keep wooden planks and such things on racks that have hollow bottoms or cannot be climbed upon by rats and do not hoard objects that are of no use and for which you have no need.
- To outsmart rats we must not underestimate them and always be one step ahead. It is important to determine what their goal is and how they achieve this. This is not easily done and cannot be discovered just be one glance or look, this warrants time and patience and thorough research so as to defeat them.
- Keep them cut off from the three aforementioned things they need for survival.
- Make sure that electricity and water lines/pipes have no gaps in them and seal whatever cracks and crevices are there and make sure that roof rafters are sealed.
- Seal all gaps on doors.
- Keep them away from steel wool.
Hope these pests tips are helpful to you.